Saturday, July 30, 2011

Sourdough..

I think I am going to have to give sourdough a 2nd try, I ran out of AP flour and had to sub cake flour for my bread. The taste was really yummy, nice and sour, but the texture was off. It was very hard and crunchy on the outside which was good, but the inside was just off. I can't really describe it, it just wasn't right. So all in all not a bad first try. I had never made bread with a starter before, I was really surprised by how easy it was. It reminded me of my Mom and Grandma making the Amish friendship bread that was fairly popular a while back. If you have never heard of Amish Friendship bread before, basically a friend gave you a baggie or jar full of starter and a list of instructions, for the next 10 days you added fruit, water and flour or sugar to it and only stirred it with a wooden spoon and only stirred it until it was blended, never more. On day 10 you had to divide the stuff up and find 3 friends that were willing to take the goo and start their own bread, you always knew it was time to give up when you started getting the starter back from people you gave it to! I do remember the bread being quite tasty, and it was alot easier to give away then the starter was! Maybe I will have to start my starter and make some Amish Friendship bread :)

No comments:

Post a Comment